Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Creativity

Ok, so first I would just like to say that this man is quite funny. He is very interesting to listen to.

There is no way that I would disagree with him about the arts needing to be a necessity and the fact that creativity is being brought out of kids as they grow up instead of expanded. I think that it is very important that the arts be even with mathematics and science. When he began talking about the importance of dance and theater I was so pleased! It is very important that educators praise these arts just like the others, and like he said, they should motivated it in learners even more. I could relate very well to the story he told about Gillian Lynne. She is a fantastic choreographer, but when she was younger her teachers thought something was wrong with her because of her fidgeting. Well, I move a ton. Everywhere I go I'm fidgeting, but just like Ken Robinson said, dance is a way of learning. People can learn through dance. I love how he used dance as an example, but that's probably just because I'm a dancer and can personally relate.

Ken had mentioned that kids are born naturally with creativity and talent, which I believe is true. Kids have the best imaginations and are eager to try and do almost anything. I also agree with Ken when he said that children get scared out of being wrong the more they grow up. When you're a small kid, it doesn't matter if you're wrong, just as long as you say something it's good. However, as you progress through education, you become timid and afraid of what people will think or how they will react once you speak your mind.

I feel like everyone just conforms to what the world wants, not what their creativity or curiosity is asking of them. Why are teenagers so frightened of getting up in front of the class to present something? Why are teenagers worried to listen to what they enjoy, so instead they listen to what is "in"? It's because this essence of being creative and different has been changed to needing to be right. Creativity has been brought out of the picture. Education should really bring back the arts in schools and make them just as important as math or science. Arts are important!

1 comment:

  1. Katelin - this is awesome. Thanks. I wonder - where does family and community fit into molding that full person. Schools can't do it all, right? But they certainly can be aware and attend to diversity. What a challenge.

    ReplyDelete